Five Health “Hacks” For Happy Holidays
Thanksgiving is behind us. We survived the stampede on “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday”. A few of us even already have holiday decorations up. We’re not quite at the holiday “half way” mark. To help you make it across the finish line (into 2019!) happy, healthy, and well rested, we’ve collected these five simple health “hacks” that will help you make it through the holidays.
1. Indulge… in moderation. Go ahead and eat the foods you love. Enjoy every minute of it! Just slow down, be mindful and take time to appreciate it. And, those less nutritious foods that you don’t love as much? Skip them.
2. Don’t go in hungry. It sounds counter-intuitive, but if you walk into a party starving, you are more likely to eat without thinking (or enjoying). Instead, have a nutritious snack before heading to the party. That way you can enjoy the foods you really love and spend the rest of your time mingling with the other guests.
3. Remember to sleep. With visitors coming in from out of town, parties that go late into the night, shopping trips, and more filling up your time, it’s easy to start staying up late and getting up early. By making sure you get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night, you’ll be in a better mood, be more present, and ready to fight off whatever germs might have been swirling around in the airplane.
4. Set aside time for exercise. Exercise is usually one of the first things to get dropped from a busy schedule. Regular physical activity is key to keeping up your energy level, reduce stress, and help you sleep. So mark three or so times a week off in advance for a brisk walk or a trip to the gym. For bonus points, find a work-out buddy to keep it social and make sure you are committed to the schedule.
5. Plan on talking with loved ones about any updates to your insurance, finances, and other key details they should know about. Purchased a final expense policy this year? Have a new will? Hold a Long Term Care Insurance policy? Write down the key information (or at least our phone number) and give it to a few loved ones for safe keeping.
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Navigating Medicare Part D: A Comprehensive Guide to Prescription Drug Coverage
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Individual Health Insurance in 2023: Navigating Choices for Personalized Coverage
- Medicare in 2023: Advancements, Challenges, and the Future
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Happy Hannukah!
- Five Health “Hacks” For Happy Holidays
- It’s Tax Season! Are You Ready?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Life Insurance
- February is American Heart Month: We want you to take it to heart
- Start the year with a review of your insurance coverage needs
- Apps to help you manage your time and productivity
- Making the most of an annual insurance review